Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lentils

I have meet few people who actually like lentils all alone. Now, I'll spare you all the nutritional benefits, vitamins and minerals and good reasons you should be eating lentils. I imagine that you can gather by the name "lentil" that it is something healthy that you should be eating! Let me tell you 2 basics. 1.) Great protein source and 2.) doesn't require soaking/cooks in 20 min.
Here was our dinner tonight:
Okay a few things you should know about this recipe. First of all it is super versatile. You can use any kind of veggies that you want in it or none at all. You can use whatever spices you want or even fresh ones. Second the quality of the broth is really going to make a difference. I mean look at this recipe...its not that... uh glamorous. I used to use Rachel Ray's chicken broth, but I have discovered these amazing vegetable herb broth cubes at the Natural Food Store, I used those tonight and this dish was infinitely better! And third, it cooks for an insanely long time. Maybe we can work it out in the crock pot? I haven't tried that yet.

Lentil and Rice Casserole
1/2 cup lentils (dry)
1/3 cup whole grain rice (dry)
2 cups broth
1/2 onion
2 carrots
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 garlic cloves
Some cheese

Put all of this into a small casserole dish. Cover it with foil and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Add some cheese on top then cook it for 15-20 minutes more.

More lentil recipes later... I hear "mommy" coming from the other room!

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for lentil recipes lately. Found one w/ squash that I'm gonna try this week, but I think I may try this one soon as well!

    ReplyDelete