Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pumpkins

Let me apologize profusely for neglecting this blog lately. The end of summer (moving, traveling and birthdays) left me in a spin. Things seem to be settling down now so I thought I'd share with you one of my favorite things about this season... pumpkins! I want to create a movement called "get your pumpkins off the porch and into your dinner".
I am chalk full of pumpkin recipes but here is one that we made tonight.

Black Bean and Pumpkin Quesadillas
1 jalapeno chile (I don't add this... I have a toddler!)
1 cup fresh pumpkin - peeled and grated
2 cups black beans
1 small onion - chopped
1/2 bell pepper - chopped
couple cloves of garlic
1/4 cup pumpkin - cooked and mashed
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
handful of cilantro
2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
tortillas

Preheat the oven to 350 (if you want them toasty and the cheese melted)
Saute the onion, pepper and garlic for a couple minutes. Add the chili pepper and fresh pumpkin, saute about 5 minutes longer. Add the mashed pumpkin, beans and spices. After you remove from heat add the cilantro. Fill each tortilla with the mixture and some cheese. Bake for a couple minutes... I don't know 5-10! We like to top this with plain yogurt at the table.













No comments:

Post a Comment